I have been baking bread again and this time I am sharing with you a recipe for making delicious Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread at home. Yes, right there in your own oven!! No worrying about preservatives, additives, excess sugar or indeed salt:)
This loaf is nothing if not perfect. It is soft, has wonderful texture, taste, and slices like a dream. Make a batch of sandwiches for your brown bag lunch with this bread the next time and you will never buy bread in a store again!!
21/2 cups whole grain whole wheat flour
1 cup atta (Indian Chappati Flour)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
11/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tsp yeast
1/4 cup full fat milk powder
- Sift the flours together with the salt.
- Mix the sugar in the warmed water, add the yeast, stir well and cover.
- Allow the yeast to proof for 5 minutes.
- Pour the yeast and water mix into the flour with half the olive oil.
- Make a soft dough.
- Place in a well oiled bowl and allow the dough to proof for about an hour or until it has doubled.
- Punch down the dough, pour in half the remaining oil and knead it for 7 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a roll, place in a prepared loaf tin.
- Brush the top with some olive oil. Cover and allow to proof again.
- Once the loaf has doubled, remove the cover and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the loaf pan.
- Slice and enjoy with butter and your favourite sandwich fillings.
- As whole grain wheat flour is used in this bread, you may find that you need a little more water to knead the dough to a soft consistency. If so, add the extra water only a teaspoon at a time.
- You can reduce the olive oil in this recipe up to half the amount. However I feel it is important to the texture of the loaf and its best to add as per recipe especially while kneading the dough after the first proof.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.